Header

 photo newheader_zps66c52807.png
Image Map

Friday, May 10, 2013

Embarrassing Things I Don't Do Anymore...or, Trendy Things We All Did in the 80's

Times change...thank goodness!

As a wonderful result, there are a lot of things that I don't do anymore.  
I'm sure you have things that you don't do anymore, also. (At least, I hope you do!)

There are fads that come and go...and, absolutely should go and never, ever return.

I was born in the amazing decade of the 70's (that was sarcasm peeps), but I am a child of the 80's.
Whew! Am I glad those days are gone!

I was a stick with knees, big hair, blue eye shadow, and shoulder pads.
It was awesome!

I don't use Style Hairspray, anymore. (Do they even still make it?)
Back in the day, I had a very time consuming ritual where I wet down my hair on either side of my head with the Style, and held it straight out with a brush while drying it with the hair dryer.  Nothing was taking that hair down...

I am pretty sure that I was the only girl in the 5th grade with a perm, color, and perfectly tweezed eyebrows. That's what happens when your older sister is in Cosmetology in High School.

You may remember some of those amazing 'dos.
And, yes, I had the headbands just like Olivia Newton John!


Awesome, huh? You know you were singing right along! Admit it!

Remember prairie dresses?  Thankfully, no one wears these anymore!

 Of course, those may not have been popular everywhere.  


I couldn't find a lovely picture of myself actually wearing one.  Hopefully, the evidence has been lost.
You can buy these lovelies on Etsy these days. (Really? Yes, really. Why? No earthly idea...)

Remember lying in your backyard on a quilt with a bottle of baby oil and the radio blasting? Gettin' your tan on? Oh, and the baby oil needed to have iodine added to it.  What were we thinking?

I don't do that any longer, either. Mainly because I don't want to look like this:

Bless her heart...***shiver***
I don't go to a tanning bed and I don't do the fake spray tan, either. I don't really enjoy standing in front of a stranger with no clothes while they shoot freezing brown goo all over my body.
 Not my idea of a good time. 

Oh, and do you remember what happened to Christina Aguilera? 
Yep, her spray tan ran down her leg!

Um, ick...

My shoulder pads have gone the way of the dodo bird, too. I am not playing any sort of full contact sport, and my own shoulders are sufficient, thank you.

Dynasty

Designing Women

Why did we need enormous shoulders? Were they the boob equivalent of the 80's? Did it somehow make us look more womanly? Weird trend.

I loved Designing Women, shoulder pads, big hair, and all. I believe it was Suzanne Sugarbaker that laid down the law that the men should get the bugs. (Amen, sistah!)

Have you ever cut your own hair?

I don't recommend it.

Really it can have disastrous results. And, you just have to live with it.

I don't cut my own hair. Ever again. Never. Never. Never.

You can't make me.

Just to prevent you all, my friends, from making the same mistake that I did, I am going to be vulnerable here.  Brace yourselves...

Sad, sad, sad little bangs

This was about 4-5 years ago and everyone is still suffering from the trauma. It was too blond and such pitifully short bangs! EEK!

Don't suffer the same misery that I did! Restrain yourself!
Put the scissors down and step away. Slowly!

Nope, I'm not doing it ever again.

Feel free to roll around on the floor laughing. Just don't hurt yourself.

What embarrassing things from your past would you like to share? Please, do tell.....

6 comments:

  1. So funny, I totally remember the big shoulder pads and the bangs. I have a pictue with some of the most horrible bangs. I was sure that I cut them myself but my mother assures me that she took me somewhere to have it done. Shame on her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, this incident isn't the only total hair cut fail I have had. My sister cut them one time when I was in high school (and she didn't want to do it) and my bangs were about two inches long. My face looked huge! Oh, and it was the day of the homecoming dance.....

      Delete
  2. Yeah....I wasn't born till the 90s, and after looking at lots of pictures of my parents growing up, I'm kind of glad that I missed those decades! I have done an entire haircut on myself before...it really didn't turn out bad, but then I have curly hair, so you really can't tell if there are mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much good in the way of fashion came out of the 80's!

      Delete
  3. OMG! I couldn't stop laughing! I found your blog from TXWomenBloggers. Such a cute site. About the shoulder pads. I remember using my moms and stuffing them in my shirt! They had multiple uses around our house! :)

    ReplyDelete

If you're not a robot, I would love to chat.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...