Header

 photo newheader_zps66c52807.png
Image Map

Sunday, September 29, 2013

DIY Halloween Costumes for Boys



The time is coming for getting started on any DIY Halloween Costumes that need to be created.

I haven't created many over the years, but began the tradition about two years ago.  The Littlest wanted to be Captain Jack Sparrow and none of the costumes that I saw really made me happy.  I thought I could do better! And, in my opinion, I did!

The hair was the biggest issue, of course, but I had to get it right for the costume to turn out well.  

I visited our Hancock fabric store and found some yarn that I thought would be perfect.  It was a brown variegated nubby yarn. Don't you like my technical description? This was pre-blogging days, so there aren't any pics of the yarn or the wig making process. I'll do my best to describe it.

I took 3-4 strands about 12-15 inches long that formed the center of the wig.  Then, I tied groups of 3-4 strands, about 12-15 inches in length to hang off each side of the center strand. Some of the strands I braided, and included string and even some burlap.

I added a head scarf of some stretchy red fabric from the remnant bin and a coin earring I found in an old jewelry box to complete the wig.

I created a brown vest out of felt, and made shoe covers to look like boots, as well.  

When all of that was paired with an older brothers dress shirt, a kitchen towel for a belt, and a toy pirate sword, he was all ready to go!

Here is what we came up with:

Trip Worth Taking Blog: DIY Captain jack Sparrow Costume
DIY Captain Jack Sparrow Costume

Trip Worth Taking Blog: DIY Captain jack Sparrow Costume

Close up of the wig:

Trip Worth Taking Blog: DIY Captain jack Sparrow Wig
Captain Jack would never smile in a photo!

Trip Worth Taking Blog: DIY Captain jack Sparrow Wig
Cutest pirate ever...

I have to admit that I was super excited about the way that it turned out.  And, so was the little pirate.

This year may be a bit more time intensive.  He wants to be Jack Skellington from A Nightmare Before Christmas. Eek.  I better get busy.

I was browsing Pinterest and found some really creative DIY costume ideas:

It's Uncle Si!

via Pinterest

These Minions are too cute!

via Pinterest

Steve!

via Pinterest

I've created a Pinterest board with DIY Costumes for boys.  I will be adding more to it all month!






Do you create DIY Halloween costumes? I would love for you to send me the link to be added to the Pinterest Board.  Shoot me an email to amyfenn1 @ gmail . com, or leave a link in a comment below.

Remove the spaces of course!

I can't wait to see what you've created!


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're not a robot, I would love to chat.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...