Header

 photo newheader_zps66c52807.png
Image Map

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Becoming: Sharing Your Homes Mission

This is something that has been wiggling around in my mind for a little while.  Thinking about the mission of my home.  Not just the structure, but the feeling and personality of my home.  

We create brands for companies, our blogs, and so much more, why don't we brand our home?  Not to  create revenue, but to draw people into our home.  Give them the feeling that they want their own home to have the feeling that they get when they are in your home.  

I've been considering creating a mission statement for our home. Letting the world know what our home is about. Wikipedia says this about mission statements for companies and organizations:




mission statement is a statement of the purpose of a companyorganization or person, its reason for existing.
The mission statement should guide the actions of the organization, spell out its overall goal, provide a path, and guide decision-making. It provides "the framework or context within which the company's strategies are formulated."

To that end, I have just been brainstorming single words that I feel describe our home and how our family feels about it.

HAVEN

Definition of HAVEN

1
: harborport
2
: a place of safety : refuge
3
: a place offering favorable opportunities or conditions <a haven for artists>


REFUGE
Definition of REFUGE

1
: shelter or protection from danger or distress
2
: a place that provides shelter or protection
3
: something to which one has recourse in difficulty

RETREAT

Definition of RETREAT

1
(1) : an act or process of withdrawing especially from what is difficult, dangerous, or disagreeable (2) : the process of receding from a position or state attained <the retreat of a glacier>
(1) : the usually forced withdrawal of troops from an enemy or from an advanced position (2) : a signal for retreating
(1) : a signal given by bugle at the beginning of a military flag-lowering ceremony 
(2) : a military flag-lowering ceremony
2
: a place of privacy or safety : refuge
3
: a period of group withdrawal for prayer, meditation, study, or instruction under a director

These 3 words are great descriptors of what I want my home to be.  And, how I want to use it for Christ. When I am with my family, in this house or any other, these words describe how I feel.  We all know that there are far too many people in this world that don't get this feeling from their home. 


I mentioned in one of my introductory posts that I had prayed for a larger home so that we could use it to bless others and glorify God.  I soon realized that was crazy! I can use any space to glorify God, and I believe that we HAVE used this home to be a blessing to others.  As humans, we can get so caught up in the desires of this world and what we think we "need". 

The next step in creating our mission statement will be collecting single words from my husband and the kids that they feel describes our home.  My plan is to have them write them down as the occur to them on the dry erase board in the back entry area.  Once that is done, I will look up the actual definitions of each word and begin keeping or eliminating them as appropriate. 

I expect this process to take a couple of weeks, at least.  I want our mission statement to really reflect who we are as a family and what we want to accomplish with our home as a family.

I know how I feel about our home and what MY desires are for it, but, I'm not sure that everyone feels the same.  

Your home is a reflection of you, your spouse, and your children and how you all feel about each other and how you live your lives.  Have you ever thought of it that way? 

Do you think that creating a mission statement for your home is a pointless idea, or is it something that you would consider doing for yourself?

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're not a robot, I would love to chat.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...