Header

 photo newheader_zps66c52807.png
Image Map

Monday, February 11, 2013

Goodbye Satellite Provider,Get Outta My House


Oh boy! This is a big deal, friends.  Seriously a big deal.



On our journey to create a haven in our home, where outside influences have as little impact as possible, we have made a decision. We are ditching satellite.

EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKK!




You may be asking yourself,”Why is that such a big deal?”

Well.....because!



We are a television watching family!



The hubs is a serious sports nut, the biggest loves car shows, and the little loves SpongeBob, of course. The middle ‘un loves movies, so we can accomodate him without satellite.



I do love HGTV, but it’s usually on, just to be on. I don’t have to really

it. And, I can get my Downton Abbey fix on Amazon Prime.


Why did we come to this decision? It’s all about simplifying our lives, creating breathing room, being good stewards, and creating an environment of calm.



Try it.  Turn off that television for an evening and see how you feel.  Listen to the quiet.  It’s pretty awesome.



A big part of our decision making was the cost.  
We have been paying over $1300 a year to watch television! That doesn’t even count renting pay-per-view movies. It seemed a bit excessive really, and it didn’t feel like good stewardship.



Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours. Yours, O LORD, is the kingdom; you are exalted as head over all. 1 Chronicles 29:11 (NIV)


I don’t think that it is pleasing to God that we work hard for the money that he allows us to have and then squander it on something that can be so degrading.  And, I certainly don’t think He would be watching much of what is on television! Let’s face it, most of what on television is degrading to someone or something in some way. I have had to stop watching so many shows that I enjoyed because I was afraid that my kids would come in the room and see or hear something they shouldn’t! I loved Dancing With The Stars, but the costumes have gotten so small, I won’t watch it anymore!



Don’t misunderstand, we will not be a completely television free household. We subscribe to Amazon Prime (

) and will be getting Hulu+ or some other service.  But, we will only use it for things that we can enjoy as a family. The hubs will stream games online, and keep up with scores that way, too.


What I am really looking forward to, though, is the quiet.  I don’t expect the kids to stop arguing about who had to ball first, or who fell on who first, but there won’t be the constant drone of the television.  At times, I found myself turning the tv up to hear it over the kids. I don’t want to drown my kids out.



Do I expect a miraculous change in the way my household runs? Not really. But, I may discover I have much more

than I thought I did.


I told my husband I may start working out again. (Then, I told him to not write that down anywhere.) LOL!



At this writing, we haven’t told our kiddos about it yet.  That will be fun.



I plan to keep you updated on how it’s going as we adjust to this new “state of being” in our home.  I hope you’ll stick around to see how it goes!

3 comments:

  1. I cut down on how much my children watch tv as well. The children play with each other more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you said that! This was our first weekend without the satellite and the kids worked on projects, played outside and just spent time together. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did this about a year ago. It has seriously improved us... as a family. If we watch something together it is often on PBS or we make a family night of it and rent something special on netflix. I hope you learn to enjoy it I think you will!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...